Skip to main content

Vegas ~ Overcoming



~Bridget Lynn


This past weekend, my hometown became the landmark of the biggest massacre in United States history. That statement, in and of itself, is hard for me to say.

See, Vegas itself was never the victim. Growing up there, I watched the news cover the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newton, Connecticut on December 14, 2012. I heard about the Boston Marathon bombings of April 13, 2013. And I read articles about the 2015 San Bernardino attack. But, for all of those events, life went on. Because, for many of us, we are taught that life goes on. But life shouldn't go on.

For me, this massacre was a perspective shift. I learned that life should never go on and we should never ignore important topics that make us uncomfortable.

Don't stop at simply recognizing the hurt and feeling sorry for the families. Allow the hurt to penetrate your heart and find out who those families are. Educate yourself on the details of the story, rather than stopping at the tip of the iceberg you read on a Facebook post. Don't pray a few times and then be done, pray fervently. Pray for the families of victims by name. Pray for the city to be overwhelmed with love and the strength to overcome. Don't simply share a post asking people to donate resources to aid victims. Take action and donate, as well. I truly believe that inhumanity anywhere should be spotlighted everywhere.

There is an unfortunate reality that inhumanity exists, and it's uncomfortable. Terrorist attacks, tyranny, human trafficking-- all of these things (and more) happen and talking about them is uncomfortable. But talking about them and taking action against them is what allows us to overcome them.

I wish that it hadn't taken a massacre in my own town to bring about this perspective shift. I wish I could go back in time and be more involved in the overcoming of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting, the Boston Massacre, and the attack on San Bernardino. I wish I had prayed more fervently for the families of people like Dylan Hockley, who was only 6 years old, and Sierra Clayborn, who still had her whole life ahead of her. But because I cannot, I'm making a promise to do that for families who experience tragedy, firsthand, in the future. I hope you will as well.

Dearest Las Vegas, I'm proud of you. These past few days, you've taken the first steps to overcoming. Churches and citizens have gathered in fervent prayer. Generosity has overflown to the point where many places have had to stop taking donations. Families of victims are being showered with love. You have responded to the fire of hatred in Stephen Paddock's heart with floodgates of love and compassion from your own. And I am very proud of that.


#VegasStrong


Photo Credit: Chris Wattie, Reuters

**For more information on this attack and insight into how Vegas is overcoming it, I encourage you to read the article I linked at the beginning of this article. My dear friend wrote it and presents some stellar points along with the basic information about the massacre. The Washington Post also wrote an article detailing the event. And if you're interested in the names of the victims, TIME has published an article with the names of victims identified thus far.

Comments

  1. Heavenly Father, I present to you the great city of Las Vegas, heartbroken and hurting. I know you are aware of the tragedy stricken families as you are also aware of the number of hairs on their heads and what they had for breakfast. You know their likes and dislikes. So you, who know everything about each one of them, who’s love for them unmatched, is by far the most quality and capable of comforting these devastated people. I pray that you would do so. I pray that you would provide peace for every woman, man, and child, personally. That you would be the an anchor holding on steadily to Las Vegas, who has been trampled by tragedy. I ask that you would relieve the pain of lose in their lives. That your spirit would remain with them, quieting their souls from the hate the have endured. I pray all your love would be accepted and felt by the people of Vegas. In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, amen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your heart in this post. Continuing to pray for Vegas and for our nation as we lean on Jesus for guidance, healing and wisdom. Praying for you as well, friend.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Anthem Lights

*This post is different from my norm, but close to my heart, so bear with me!* Photo Credit: @anthemlights via Twitter Every girl has a couple of artists that they tirelessly listened to growing up, and pictured above is one of mine: Anthem Lights. Anthem Lights is an American Christian group originating from Nashville, Tennessee (thanks, Wikipedia ). I was first introduced to Anthem Lights because of their mash-up of popular songs in 2012. After that, my interest for their music grew as I discovered more of their unique mash-ups, covers, and original songs. Over the years, this band has been a source of incredible music for me, personally, and I wanted to share that. For starters, here is a link to their personal site . Like all bands, they need as much support as they can get. So, if you can, be sure to follow them on social media, buy some merch, and download some songs! And here are my personal favorite Anthem Lights songs: Can't Get Over You - Acousti

What Does "Delightfully Enlightened" Mean?

For my first blog post, I thought I'd explore what the title of my blog, delightfully enlightened, means. As you could probably guess, the delightful part comes with the connotation of, well, delight. My hope is that you'll find some form of delight in the words I write on this blog. That brings me to enlightenment. I don't mean the enlightenment era, although there are some pretty fantastic works to be read from that time. Locke was undoubtedly the real MVP of philosophy during that time. Anyways- what's enlightenment? In the context of this blog, enlightenment is very much what it sounds like: to shed light on something. My goal is to open your eyes to new topics and create an environment where you can explore the depths of your mind- if only for the few minutes it takes to read a blog post. That said, I'll leave you with a quote to ponder: "Enlightenment is when a wave realizes it is the ocean." Photo Credit: DebM WAVEART Thoughtfull

Hobby Lobby's Cotton Decor

           I feel like this topic is a little touchy just because everyone has a different opinion and many people could be offended. There was a black woman in Hobby Lobby looking around and spotted some decorations that looked like raw cotton. She was very offended and said that it was racist and it was a symbol for slavery. In my personal opinion this lady is completely wrong, there is no difference between a black man and a white man except the amount of melanin in their skin. Melanin was developed because our early ancestors lived in hot humid areas which caused them to develop more sweat glands and more melanin was released and therefore their skin got darker. There is only one race and that is the human race and there is no difference between people who are black or white we are all the same people. The cotton in Hobby Lobby was not meant to offend anyone and slavery wasn't just African Americans picking cotton, it was many other things too like plowing fields and cooking