Skip to main content

Hobby Lobby's Cotton Decor

           I feel like this topic is a little touchy just because everyone has a different opinion and many people could be offended. There was a black woman in Hobby Lobby looking around and spotted some decorations that looked like raw cotton. She was very offended and said that it was racist and it was a symbol for slavery. In my personal opinion this lady is completely wrong, there is no difference between a black man and a white man except the amount of melanin in their skin. Melanin was developed because our early ancestors lived in hot humid areas which caused them to develop more sweat glands and more melanin was released and therefore their skin got darker. There is only one race and that is the human race and there is no difference between people who are black or white we are all the same people. The cotton in Hobby Lobby was not meant to offend anyone and slavery wasn't just African Americans picking cotton, it was many other things too like plowing fields and cooking and being assistance to people. The Bible says that there are servants and maids and I bet that those servants and maids weren't all African American. Oh wait but what if someone disagrees with you and says the Bible isn't true and they say  " There is no Truth" or they can just say "How do you know the Bible is true". I would answer and say to them "well is that the truth, that there is no truth?" It is a self defeating statement and people do not see that and if I had to answer to them about how I know the Bible is real I would say that everything that is written in the Bible is written by eye witnesses. All of the prophesies in the Bible line up with real world events that are happening today and the Bible is written like our history books are written. Our history books are written by eye witnesses. Christianity isn't just blind faith there is evidence all around us. Another thing is evolutionist think that logic and science can counter the Bible but what they don't realize or what they don't want to admit is that science and logic is God's way of showing us He is real and his almighty power. Do you really think that a big bang can develop something like a human and flowers and beautiful animals. There was an intelligent designer behind all of this, our bodies are made so delicately and every part in it is used for a purpose. A big bang cannot make something so complex. I feel like if people can get the message that slavery is over for a reason and there is not two races there is only one and there is science behind that. The only race there is, is the human race. people need to get that through their head and stop getting offended so easily so we can all get a long but unfortunately the world isn't like that and the Bible says it will always be that way too. I guess this is the end of what i have to say about this. Comment your thoughts on this I
will be happy to know what you think.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Written by guest author Luke's Blog. Read his blog, Luke's Sport Blog here!

Comments

  1. I think you are spot on! People are equal regardless of their skin. One way to look at the cotton situation though, is that maybe when people saw a display of cotton it would remind them of slavery in the past. I could see why that lady would not want that in her house and probably not want to see it displayed in another. Just another way to look at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post. This makes us all think and gives us a way to have a great conversation about this topic which is so very relevant in our culture. Great guest post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think when dealing with situations such as this it is extremely important to be empathetic towards the person being discussed. Not that you weren’t per say, but as Sweet Pea pointed out, when this woman saw the cotton she was reminded of how her ancestors were treated as less than people, which is an aweful thing to recollect. While I don’t think cotton is the symbol of slavery and honestly I wouldn’t mind it being in my house, I need to be empathetic towards her, because as a person of a white skin tone I know I can never really understand what this woman goes through. I believe unity comes from understanding others, and putting them before yourself, while not compermizing your beliefs.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Anthem Lights

*This post is different from my norm, but close to my heart, so bear with me!* Photo Credit: @anthemlights via Twitter Every girl has a couple of artists that they tirelessly listened to growing up, and pictured above is one of mine: Anthem Lights. Anthem Lights is an American Christian group originating from Nashville, Tennessee (thanks, Wikipedia ). I was first introduced to Anthem Lights because of their mash-up of popular songs in 2012. After that, my interest for their music grew as I discovered more of their unique mash-ups, covers, and original songs. Over the years, this band has been a source of incredible music for me, personally, and I wanted to share that. For starters, here is a link to their personal site . Like all bands, they need as much support as they can get. So, if you can, be sure to follow them on social media, buy some merch, and download some songs! And here are my personal favorite Anthem Lights songs: Can't Get Over You - Acousti

What Does "Delightfully Enlightened" Mean?

For my first blog post, I thought I'd explore what the title of my blog, delightfully enlightened, means. As you could probably guess, the delightful part comes with the connotation of, well, delight. My hope is that you'll find some form of delight in the words I write on this blog. That brings me to enlightenment. I don't mean the enlightenment era, although there are some pretty fantastic works to be read from that time. Locke was undoubtedly the real MVP of philosophy during that time. Anyways- what's enlightenment? In the context of this blog, enlightenment is very much what it sounds like: to shed light on something. My goal is to open your eyes to new topics and create an environment where you can explore the depths of your mind- if only for the few minutes it takes to read a blog post. That said, I'll leave you with a quote to ponder: "Enlightenment is when a wave realizes it is the ocean." Photo Credit: DebM WAVEART Thoughtfull