Skip to main content

To-do is Not an Aesthetic Word

Stressed? Me too.

Photo Credit: studygram via tumblr.com

My to-do list for school seems never ending. And if I'm lucky enough to find myself away from academic to-dos, I find myself faced with a new stress. Like staring at a pile of laundry that probably weighs more than I do, that I could wash. But then who knows how long it'd be left in the washing machine to wrinkle and grow mold? Ew.

My point is that I am extremely  s t r e s s e d.

And I have a slight inkling that I'm not alone...

So, what do you do when you have too many to-dos? I have a few ideas for my fellow stress-freaks.

1. Pray. It's very easy to look at a gigantic to-do list and be overwhelmed. But God is bigger than every to-do on that list (yes, Amy, including the ACT). He is also overwhelmingly generous with His peace. Isaiah 26:3 says, "You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in you, all whose thoughts are fixed upon you." So, when the to-do list monster seems too big to handle, just stop and pray for peace.  A large to-do list is easier to tackle if you go into it with a level-head and peaceful heart.

2. Load up on caffeine. Coffee is mandatory to every late night study session. Chai tea is a blessing that grants focus and patience and kindness. Dr. Pepper is a bubbly treat that makes every annoying task you push to the weekend seem happy and wonderful. Whatever your drink preference, caffeine makes any pesky to-do seem manageable. WARNING: if you drink your morning coffee before your body wakes up naturally, the tired-crash will be worse when the caffeine leaves your system. So save the daily caffeine drinking for last in your morning routine.

3. Exercise. I started working out daily for my psychology project and, with two days of experience under my belt, I can attest to the theory that exercise wakes you up. If you start to loose focus on tasks, take a break and exercise. It'll help you refocus and feel refreshed.

4. Include a non-negotiable incentive in your evening routine (I recommend Netflix and yummy snacks with a side of fluffy blankets and pillows). The non-negotiable aspect of this is super important. If you let your progress on tasks control whether or not you get that relaxing incentive, you'll develop a hatred for tasks as soon as you miss "you time". If it's 9:00 pm and that's when your relaxing incentive begins, move any left-over to-dos to the next day. This way you start your day with the knowledge that, come fire or rain, you will have that special relaxation period at the end of the day.

Those are my recommendations for dealing with stress. I would love to hear yours-- leave your suggestions in the comments!


Side rant: I really wanted to title this "what to do when you have too many to-dos", but to and do are very unaesthetically pleasing words. Hence, the title I chose instead.

Comments

  1. These are all great points to relieve stress. One of my go to stress relievers is music. Whether it's playing or just listening, music always helps me chill out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah that's a great stress reliever, Sweets! Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  2. I'm not an artist when it comes to commenting, so I'm just going to say that these are pretty good. But, I'm not a coffee person, myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good ideas for stress relief. I also really enjoy taking a walk. It would be better if I had a beautiful setting to walk in but just a walk around my neighborhood helps. Like Esther a lot of times my most stressed out walk-relieving episodes include prayer too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Anthem Lights

*This post is different from my norm, but close to my heart, so bear with me!* Photo Credit: @anthemlights via Twitter Every girl has a couple of artists that they tirelessly listened to growing up, and pictured above is one of mine: Anthem Lights. Anthem Lights is an American Christian group originating from Nashville, Tennessee (thanks, Wikipedia ). I was first introduced to Anthem Lights because of their mash-up of popular songs in 2012. After that, my interest for their music grew as I discovered more of their unique mash-ups, covers, and original songs. Over the years, this band has been a source of incredible music for me, personally, and I wanted to share that. For starters, here is a link to their personal site . Like all bands, they need as much support as they can get. So, if you can, be sure to follow them on social media, buy some merch, and download some songs! And here are my personal favorite Anthem Lights songs: Can't Get Over You - Acousti

What Does "Delightfully Enlightened" Mean?

For my first blog post, I thought I'd explore what the title of my blog, delightfully enlightened, means. As you could probably guess, the delightful part comes with the connotation of, well, delight. My hope is that you'll find some form of delight in the words I write on this blog. That brings me to enlightenment. I don't mean the enlightenment era, although there are some pretty fantastic works to be read from that time. Locke was undoubtedly the real MVP of philosophy during that time. Anyways- what's enlightenment? In the context of this blog, enlightenment is very much what it sounds like: to shed light on something. My goal is to open your eyes to new topics and create an environment where you can explore the depths of your mind- if only for the few minutes it takes to read a blog post. That said, I'll leave you with a quote to ponder: "Enlightenment is when a wave realizes it is the ocean." Photo Credit: DebM WAVEART Thoughtfull

Hobby Lobby's Cotton Decor

           I feel like this topic is a little touchy just because everyone has a different opinion and many people could be offended. There was a black woman in Hobby Lobby looking around and spotted some decorations that looked like raw cotton. She was very offended and said that it was racist and it was a symbol for slavery. In my personal opinion this lady is completely wrong, there is no difference between a black man and a white man except the amount of melanin in their skin. Melanin was developed because our early ancestors lived in hot humid areas which caused them to develop more sweat glands and more melanin was released and therefore their skin got darker. There is only one race and that is the human race and there is no difference between people who are black or white we are all the same people. The cotton in Hobby Lobby was not meant to offend anyone and slavery wasn't just African Americans picking cotton, it was many other things too like plowing fields and cooking